Friday, June 27, 2003

Listening to talk radio while delivering The Outpost on Thursday, I was struck for the 6,000th time (since I am easily bewildered by the obvious) at how little useful information one hears there. In more than four hours of listening, I heard at least two hours of discussion and at least six news reports about the Supreme Court decision striking down the Texas sodomy law. Scalia's claim that the majority had taken sides in the culture wars was aired a dozen times without any context that would make that statement meaningful. Clarence Thomas' dissent about the absence of a right of privacy in the Constitution got a mention or two. Of the basis for the majority opinion, I got scarcely a whiff. Instead, I learned that the decision was good (O'Reilly) and bad (Hannity) and that anybody who thought otherwise hadn't a clue. Then a couple of dozen leather-headed opinions from people who hadn't read the opinion and didn't really care what it said anyway. What a colossal waste of time! I could have been listening to Herman's Hermits singing "There's a Kind of Hush" for the 8 millionth time.

No comments: