Wednesday, December 22, 2004

World's dumbest columnist

Joseph Perkins widened his lead in the race for World's Dumbest Columnist with this entry, which appeared in today's Gazette. Perkins notes, accurately, that reporters rate low in public esteem for ethical standards. He then finds "prima facie" evidence of media bias in three recent Iraq stories:
1. The reporter who got a soldier to ask Donald Rumsfeld about vehicle armor.
2. The NBC correspondent who filmed an American soldier shooting an apparently wounded Iraqi.
3. The Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal.
Perkins acknowledges, as any journalist would, that all three of these are legitimate stories. Then he adds this odd but true sentence: "Indeed, when stories appear on the front pages of major dailies or air on the evening news offering decidedly negative assessments of America's prosecution of the war in Iraq, or reflecting badly upon this nation's men and women in uniform, many Americans wonder about the reporter's motivation."

The upshot being -- what? Reporters shouldn't do stories, no matter how legitimate, that might cause Americans to question our motivation? Even Perkins isn't willing to go that far. So he ends with this insipid drivel: "In many cases, if not most, the reporter may simply be calling it as he or she sees it. But in at least some cases, it seems, the reporter's story is driven by anti-war bias."

Oh. And what might Americans wonder about the motivation of columnists who write such pathetic crap? Only one conclusion is possible: Such writers are determined to lay claim to the title of World's Dumbest Columnist. But no one will catch Perkins.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Wellness to complete my work on the subject. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Good Day Blogger, I just did a search for make money at home and for some reason your site was highlighted! I have a real interest in World's dumbest columnist and was hoping your site could lead me to more info. Unfortunately it did not have any sources for make money at home
Thanks Anyway!
PS: I really enjoyed your read even though it was not what I had anticipated.

Anonymous said...

Do you know how important this aspect is? I'm sometimes susrprised when I start checking out
things like self improvement tapes at just how much there is to it all. Exciting stuff!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about Total Wellness to complete my work on the subject. Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Hello Blogger, I was searching for some info on personal development and stumbled across your blog. Even though World's dumbest columnist was different than what I thought, it was different enough to get my attention. I really don't understand how I got your page while looking for personal development. Anywho I loved your blog and am very happy I stopped by. Thanks for the interesting read.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have. Recently I created a site about subliminal and would love you to take a look to see what you think