Saturday, October 18, 2003

My Oct. 12 link to Spoons' website elicited comments both here and there. Now Spoons reveals (scroll down a ways) the real source of his animus toward journalism: He was the tragic victim of an awkward transition graph when he was 10 years old. In adult life, he says, only 10 percent of journalists he has dealt with have even tried to do their jobs competently and honestly. But can his percentages be relied upon? Or has his childhood trauma biased him forever and rendered him unfit to judge the work of people in a profession that has scarred him for life? You decide.

UPDATE: In the interests of full disclosure, I should reveal that I, too, witnessed a gross act of journalistic injustice when I was a tyke. My older brother had won some sort of book reading award through the local library back in Texas, and the Victoria Advocate lined him up with the other winners to take a picture. But when the photo ran in the Sunday paper, my brother had been cropped out! Was it to save space? Was it simple incompetence? Or was it perhaps that he just didn't know the right people?

It was on that dark day that I resolved to devote my life to cleaning up corruption and favoritism in journalism, vowing to concentrate all my energies on creating a world where reading award winners everywhere would receive the public recognition they so richly deserve. Spoons, I feel your pain.

No comments: