Friday, April 01, 2005

Extreme moderates

I went to a meeting of a new campus group at Rocky Mountain College on Wednesday. The idea is to organize at the grassroots level to create the Moderate Party, a rational alternative to the partisanship and bickering of the two major parties.

The name of the party elicited a few inevitable chuckles. For example, when the next meeting was set, the time was placed at 6:15 p.m. -- exactly midway between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

I am naturally skeptical about the odds of rallying support for a rational approach to politics, but I'm happy to see college students meeting to discuss such matters. Even if nothing comes of it but a few debates on the nature of political compromise, it will be time well spent. On the basis of what I have heard, the students sounded more libertarian than moderate -- an idea also worth exploring.

But that can be changed. That could be my opportunity. Since Tony Lewis keeps labeling me as an "extreme moderate," maybe I could carve out a niche as a leader of the extreme wing of the Moderate Party.

If you would like any more information about all this, let me know. I will put you in touch.

3 comments:

KarbonKountyMoos said...

I'd like to know if this is an April Fool posting?!
Libertarians rule! Oh, yeah - we really don't...

Anonymous said...

He he, funny. I guess I should elaborate on that label I handed you.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could call it the Fence Riders...


Dog