Sunday, April 24, 2005

Murdoch on the press

I had meant earlier to link to this speech by Rupert Murdoch to the American Society of Newspaper Editors. The speech has gotten a lot of play in the blogosphere, not, I suspect, so much for its content as for who said it.

But one statistic caught my eye: "According to one recent study, the percentage of national journalists who have a great deal of confidence in the ability of the American public to make good decisions has declined by more than 20 points since 1999." That number was new to me.

Murdoch opines, "Perhaps this reflects their personal politics and personal prejudices more than anything else, but it is disturbing." Perhaps. I suspect that it may reflect a reaction to the fairly overwhelming public distrust of journalists. If I know I'm telling the truth, and you call me a liar, then my respect for your judgment diminishes.

But I agree with Murdoch that it's a disturbing number. When journalists think their readers are stupid, that can't be good for journalism.

Here at The Outpost, I struggle with the opposite problem. I think Outpost readers are the bee's knees. It's the nonreaders I don't trust. Sometimes on Thursdays, when I'm out delivering papers all day long, I catch myself silently cursing the intelligence and character of people who walk by our racks without picking up a copy.

I'm not saying that's smart, and I'm not proud of it. But if you ever see me on Thursday with a couple of bundles of Outposts under my arm, you might want to ask for a copy. Someday, who knows? I might just blow.

4 comments:

Chuck Rightmire said...

I don't know, David, from some of your letters to the editor and some of your columnists they like, I think you're talking about a different aspect of the bee's anatomy, and I'm not talking about the sting.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on rx7 body kit while searching the web and wanted to tell you it is great. Feel free to have your participants view rx7 body kit for more great ideas.

Anonymous said...

Hi , I was out blog surfing looking for some info on doggy steps when I ended up on your page. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about doggy steps at the site above.

Anonymous said...

I was just browsing the web for sites that have something about love and romance and I found your blog. It�s really nice. As for love topics, I�d like to tell you about http://top-personals.net, this is an useful guide for singles looking for texas adult personals.