Saturday, December 03, 2005

R.I.P.

Bill Higham, 55, a good friend of The Outpost and a good citizen, has died. Services will be Dec. 17.

He had a fatal illness, apparently, for some time. I didn't know that because I had neither seen nor heard from him since he left First Citizens Bank a year or so ago. Others who knew him said they had tried to reach him and he hadn't responded.

He had served on the MetraPark board, was a member of the Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Committee and was active in NILE and in some Republican political campaigns. On Fridays in the early days of The Outpost, we used to meet at Pauly's (earlier Vinnie's, later a couple of Mexican food restaurants, the Eleven: 11 and Creole's) for drinks with Bill and Denny Rehberg.

First Citizens Bank was on my delivery route in those days, and Bill always subscribed, even though he could have picked one up by walking a few yards. I delivered his paper personally to his desk -- the only publisher-to-subscriber, one-on-one service we offered -- and we would talk about the paper and the news. Every year or so, I would hit him up to renew his subscription.

The paper was, of course, too liberal for his tastes, but he read it faithfully. I promised him once that if The Outpost ever became a huge success, I would become a rich Republican, too. Another failed promise, so far at least.

He was a heck of a guy, loyal, reliable and concerned, at least when I knew him. I don't know exactly what wrong, and I guess I never will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only knew Bill in passing from the pre-Outpost days when he held court at noon on Fridays at the Elks. He was a natural leader as well as a civic leader and a take charge kind of guy.

Anonymous said...

I always liked Bill. I took out a loan on a new motorcycle from him at First Citizens Bank in 1981. He would build things once-in-a-while, and he liked to look at good tools. He was a customer of mine at Frontier Fastening Systems, and Safway Supply as well. I last talked to him in 2002 when we were erecting a scaffold in FCB after hours. I told him I was going to remember the high interest rate he charged me in 1981 when we made up the bill. We both laughed about it. There are a lot of people I'd rather see gone than Bill!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the cool horse . You'll have to stop by www.horseoutlet.com sometime!