Friday, August 13, 2004

Kerry's claims

Just as with Bush-AWOL claims, I have found myself utterly engrossed in the Kerry-Swift Boats controversy. I'm late getting to this, thanks to my technically challenged blog the last week or so, but perhaps it's not too late for a few observations.
1. A fair amount of hypocrisy exists among the Kerry critics. For many of them, Bush's honorable discharge was all the proof they needed that he had fulfilled his commitments. Kerry not only has an honorable discharge, but a fistful of medals (suitable for throwing) to boot. Does that settle the case? Not at all.
2. Whatever the merits of their claims against Kerry, the Swift Boat vets went over the line in their ad attacking him. Their biggest goof was their failure to clearly distinguish between their claims about Kerry's service and their distaste for his anti-war protests. Since Kerry has invited voters to judge his fitness for the presidency based on his service in Vietnam, their estimate of that service is relevant and useful. They are entitled to their opinions about his protests, but their opinions about that are no matter valuable or useful than anybody else's, including my own. But they are happy to leave the impression that his service itself was dishonorable, and even their most serious claims do not make that case.
3. The charge that appears most likely to stick is that Kerry was never in Cambodia, as he has repeatedly claimed. What would explain such a false statement? Beats me. He used the claim purely for rhetorical purposes, and why tell lies just for that? That would demonstrate a reckless nature that Kerry has not demonstrated in public life before. Could he be honestly mistaken? Perhaps. He is 60 (I think), and I am 53, and I am amazed at how inaccurate my own memory has started to become. It's scary. Perhaps he and I are both headed down a dark road into forgetfulness and confusion.
4. Mainstream media have been slow to move on this story. In the blogosphere, the slowness is taken as evidence of liberal bias. That's one possible explanation, of course, but not the only one. Here are a few others:
a. The Swift Vets book is published by Regnery, which has a history of advocacy for the right. That doesn't mean the book is a lie, but it does justify some caution.
b. The media generally are slow to move on challenges to military records. I thought the media moved awfully slowly on the Bush-AWOL claims when they surfaced in 2000, and that could hardly be blamed on liberal bias. If anything, I think the media's caution may be blamed more on their fear of being accused of liberal bias for attacking the bona fides of people with hard evidence of valor, such as medals or testimony of fellow soldiers. Some evidence for this argument can be found here.
Oops, have to go to a meeting. More thoughts later.

4 comments:

Chuck Rightmire said...

David: I think the timing of this sucks. I haven't seen the ad, but I've been aware of the issue for some time. First, it seems to be people who were on other boats who do most of the complaining. Apparently his own crew is on his side. That's the sign of a good commander.

Second, why did the antis wait over 30 years to say anything? Kerry has been in the public eye for a number of years and we have been at wars he's voted on several times during that period. His commander was quoted as saying that he shouldn't have signed the statement and then he says he was misquoted in the Boston Globe when he recanted. As far as I know, the Globe hasn't backed down on it and I remember too many other cases where I know the quote was right and the speaker got into trouble with his comrades and backed off, saying, "I was misquoted."

This is not intended necessarily as a defense of Kerry, but rather some thoughts on the veracity of the attack. I agree with your suggestion that the ferocity of the attack may be caused by Kerry's actions after he returned. At the moment, I have to assume that it is primarily a political ploy.

KarbonKountyMoos said...

Have you seen this update?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2104939/

KarbonKountyMoos said...

I forgot to mention that the above link was found at "A Different Lemming" blog.

Is there something that I'm missing here about rodents?


http://www.dmerriman.dyndns.org/blog/index.php

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

David....

While I seem to be required to post as "anonymous" (for whatever reason) I have to say that many of the Kerry-Swift Boat comments are driven mostly by those that have NEVER been in Vietnam and for those who have I seriously doubt that they had ANY direct knowledge of John Kerry OR his background during a time when many "in-country" soldiers were simply trying to come home.

Your point (#2) is or should be well taken! I can tell you that (at least on my part) I've forgotten more than I remember during my time in Vietnam and even what I do remember, I'd just as soon forget....and Opps I too now have to go to a meeting.