Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Here's a radical idea: Atlantic Monthly wants to make a profit. Sounds like a plan to me.


Purity is such a difficult thing to maintain. We got the Autopost out at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday and stopped by Albertsons for beer and ice cream (beer floats!). Of course I forgot about my promise to myself never to use the Preferred Savings Card until I saw that it would save me $2 on a 12-pack of Pabst. Just as I was contemplating this moral quandary (and wondering why it was impossible to buy a six-pack - part of the Fattening of America, no doubt) my wife's cell phone rang. There was a problem at the paper, and we had to go back right now. My wife, who lacks my qualms about this issue, had her card number handy and used it to click us through the checkstand. When the cashier asked for the card number, I wouldn't even look at her.
Later, back home again, the beer tasted bitter. But then, it was Pabst.
To read more about people with Preferred Savings Card-related maladies, go here.

No comments: