Friday, January 06, 2006

Moby Dick

This should be fun. The Outpost is the media sponsor for a couple of events a year at the Alberta Bair Theater. This year, we sponsored Dervish and were scheduled to sponsor a production of "Cyrano."

"Cyrano de Bergerac" is probably my favorite of all non-Shakespearean plays. So I was disappointed when I got a call last week telling me that the show had been canceled. The cast, it seems, couldn't get visas. But my attitude changed when I learned what would replace it: a three-person production by a German theater company of "Moby Dick."

The list of things I like better than "Cyrano" is mighty short, but one of the things on that list is "Moby Dick." And someone (perhaps Gary Svee) already has observed that this production is bound to be brilliant because a failed three-person production of "Moby Dick" would be so awful that no one would ever try to do it twice.

It's on May 24. Keep a sharp eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uhhh, so that's Ishmael, Ahab, and the whale? Poor Queequeg. I guess Starbuck is too busy with his ubiquitous coffee empire to bother with an appearance.

I think I'll pass on this production.