Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rehberg and Brown?

Here's one scenario that I hear is circulating in Democratic circles:

1. Burns takes the fall for the Abramoff scandal and pulls out of the race.

2. Rehberg runs for Burns' seat.

3. Roy Brown runs for Rehberg's seat.

On first blush, every part of this struck me as implausible. But it's beginning to sound more reasonable.

1. Burns doesn't sound like a guy who's thinking about giving up. Besides, even if he does, it's not clear that the baying dogs would quit howling.
But Todd made the counter case in a comment here to an earlier post.

2. After a few years on the endless fund-raising circus in the House, the Senate must hold at least some appeal to Rehberg. And I presume that he would be the instant favorite.

3. It's never been clear that Brown's assets would translate well to a statewide race. By most accounts, he got elected to the House by knocking on every door in the district. You can't knock on every door in the state, no matter how energetic you are. Treasure County alone would take several hours. On the other hand, he obviously knew how to get the party behind him in the House, and he's certainly ambitious.

Lindeen vs. Brown? I think Brown wins Yellowstone County, but Lindeen might win the race.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Senators, what is wrong with Baucus? I saw him on C-SPAN2 this week, and he could barely articulate a pre-written speech. I'm wondering if the early stages of alzheimers are setting in.

Anonymous said...

David, nothing might surprise me.

If I could talk UNITED RENTALS into giving me 4 months off next year I'd run for my HD as a Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Democrats are going to find that they can't redistrict the entire state. We're still red as a candy heart.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, marky, that's why we elected Mansfield, Metcalf, Melcher, Baucus, Tester (Ooops! not quite yet, but soon), and mainly democratic governors throughout our history. We very red......VERY COMMIE!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Pat Williams-- who DID actually try to knock on every door in the state. His first campaign slogan was "Door to door... to Congress. I knew Pat personally back then, and I'd bet he rang a good percentage of Montana's doorbells.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Eric running as a Democrat - wait a minute, I have to get a mental picture of you posing for a picture with Joan Hurdle.....

LOL