Thursday, May 22, 2008

Teacher pay

The boo birds are out on the BEA's teacher contract proposal. Can't say I blame them. It's hard to imagine anything the BEA could have done that would be better designed to make the union unpopular.

Now everybody who voted against the mill levy can sit back and say, "See? I told you the kids would never see the money. If we had voted for the levy, teachers would be asking for 10 percent instead of 6."

My wife's a teacher, so I have a personal stake in this. But that doesn't stop me from feeling a bit disgusted by the whole spectacle. You would think the strike would have taught all sides that they have to play a little nicer and a little smarter. Apparently the lesson didn't take.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Wyoming and have no dog in tihs fight, BUT I have a question. What are the teachers for, if not for the kids? The school board has to provide buildings, utilities, repairs, etc., buses, drivers, and so on but the most important component of schools is the teachers. Why are decently paid teachers not good for the kids?

Dave said...

I expect it's pretty hard to learn much when all you can see is your own side of things.