Sunday, June 08, 2008

Civil rights in Texas

I got to know Greg Moses when he was a radio news guy back in Texas and I was a newspaper reporter there. I got to know him better when he was teaching philosophy at Texas A&M and I was teaching journalism and writing there. Then, typically, I moved to Montana and lost touch.

Today I learn that he is editor of the Texas Civil Rights Review. The website started in the same year the Outpost began publishing, and it mines a rich topic -- not many states besides Texas are big enough and outrageous enough to justify a civil rights review devoted exclusively to the state.

I learned all this when I found Greg's name on a list of contributors to Red State Rebels, a book about grassroots activism whose editors will be in Billings for a discussion at 6 p.m. June 26 at Good Earth Market. One of those editors, Joshua Frank, is a Billings native. Andrea Peacock, an occasional Outpost contributor and author of a fine book on Libby, also is a contributor.

Could be a good evening.

No comments: