Sunday, July 20, 2008

On the line

Interesting study here of the IQs of football players at various positions. Based on my limited experience as a Texas A&M beat writer, I'm not surprised to see offensive tackles at the top of the list.

It's pretty hard to judge IQ, but it certainly seemed to me that offensive linemen were the most studious and academically dedicated players I encountered. More than players at the so-called skilled positions, linemen seemed to see football as a means to an education, rather than seeing education as an obstacle on the path to playing football. Even lineman who had a chance to play in the NFL knew that they would never get famous doing it, and that their careers, if any, were likely to be short. They were, as a group, the most thoughtful and serious athletes I dealt with.

No comments: