Tuesday, January 11, 2005

School bells

As of today, I'm back teaching at Rocky Mountain College. It's another first-year writing course, and today's class was pretty fun, so I'm looking forward to it. My reading list is quirky, bordering on eccentric: a new book of Montana short stories, a book by Tim Cahill and Marquez's "100 Years of Solitude." I'm not sure what I was thinking when I came up with that list, but perhaps it will come back to me.

Next week I'm back to tutoring in the writing lab at MSU-Billings, so it will be another busy semester. Blogging will suffer, naturally, but perhaps not as badly as last semester. We'll see.

7 comments:

Randy said...

Are you willing to share your reading for the class?

Randy said...

That should say "reading list." Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Cien Anos de Soledad is far better in the original Spanish. It definitely loses something in the translation.

David said...

Randy, the Cahill book is "Hold the Enlightenment." The short story book is "The Best of Montana's Short Fiction," a new anthology edited by William Kittredge and Allen Jones. "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is, unfortunately, in English.

Anonymous said...

So which school has the better writing students?

Ghost Dog

David said...

Can't say that I see much difference, Ghost Dog. I tutor writing lab students at MSU-Billings, so there's probably a bias there toward students with problems (although not a perfect bias; some profs require all students to use the lab). Most of my Rocky students need writing help, but they are generally freshmen. One encouraging thought: My third-year journalism students at Rocky were much better writers than my first-year writing students. So I suspect that means somebody is teaching them something somewhere along the way.

Randy said...

¡Gracias!